What is this blog all about?

The main purpose of this blog is to give an overview of the things I do, in my everyday life, in order to improve my English. Since I am a very lazy person, I mostly read, and watch movies, and do things which make it possible for me to improve my vocabulary, my grammar and my accent without getting bored... So this blog is going to be about the books I read, the movies I watch, and some other things which I find relevant (or not)...

I hope you'll like it! Don't hesitate to leave comments if you have any suggestions concerning what I should write about!!

lundi 19 mai 2008

Father'll want to brain her with a brick...

Hey people!

Haven't written in a terribly long while, but I've been busy with the university, and could not find anything interesting to say to my English speaking blog... But things are definitely going to get better from now on, insofar as I just came back from my study-week in Munich (which was brilliant, by the way, I might write a post about it as soon as I get photos to post!), and am going to go to Saarbrücken in Germany at the end of the week to start my internship over there. Might be some blogging material on the other side of the bordure!

While I was in Munich (and had a great time, did I mention?) I found the time to read a little (when I was not studying, or hanging out), and I re-read "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith, the woman who wrote "101 Dalmatians". I think re-reading books is the best option when you're on holidays, because it's OK if you don't have much time, (you won't be wanting to go back to your book all the time, since you already know what happens in it) and yet, when you get the time, you're sure to enjoy it (yeah, usually, when you re-read a book, it's because you liked it in the first place.)

Anyway. Just wanted to mention the book here because it's such easy English, it's great to read, it's very fun, and it's also thought material, a little. It's about growing up and stuff, and in my personal opinion, it's the best book of the sort since Jane Austen. It really woke up my enthusiasm the first time a read it, and the second reading did not make me change my mind. I think the main character, Cassandra, is just about brilliant, what with her "consciously naive-ness" and stuff. She must be around, what 16 I guess, and she's really funny, the kind of person you think it would be nice to spend time with. It's a story about her poor family and their meeting with two rich young men, called the Cottons.

There are quite a large amount of side-stories with their father, who's a writer who doesn't write anymore, their step mother who's a crazy painter's model, and the farm-boy. Farm boys always have a little charm, I must say, only this one is really daft. I also like the Cottons, but her big sister really annoys me. Which is exactly what should happen, so I guess it's one more reason why the book's so great.

I heard there was a cinema adaptation of the book recently, with Buffy's Riley as one of the characters. Whatever the said character might be, I'm against it. I don't think Buffy's Riley should ever play anything but a stupid soldier boy. But then again, that's just my personal opinion. It doesn't make me want to see the movie too much, though. He's got the charisma of a turnip, and I'm afraid that's the opposite of what any of the characters of the book should be. Except Stephen the daft farm boy... Let me check... No he doesn't play the daft farm boy. Definitely casting mistake, if you want my opinion.

Anyway. If you've got some time, I Capture the Castle's a great pick. And here's to my sister M who told me to read it in the first place (I'd have terrible taste if it wasn't for you, people!) and encouraged me to write a new post! I swear, I'll come back soon, and bore you to death with stories from Germany!!
PS: No photographs anymore except for the ones I'll be taking, I figure I hotlinked wayyyy to much as it is, and do not want to get into trouble. So I'll have to take to photography... Maybe I can make drawings on paint, how about that??

11 commentaires:

Änn a dit…

Help! I'm browsing the net (watching House episodes) instead of working - à fond - for thursday's presentation... what's wrong with me?
BTW, I hope that Saarbrücken will work out for me, too. So you won't have to tell "boring" stories about Germany and I will have the chance to go and read a little bit. I haven't got the time for reading lately , and you seem to know quite some stuff about that.
:p
*fingers crossed*

annie

Claire a dit…

YAY!! Dr House!! Way to go, Anna! This way, if one of the jury has a heart attak, you can save his life and get an A+!
:D

I do this all the time, and wish you luck with your preparation for the thingy (no idea how to say "soutenance" in English. Maintaining, I think...)

Anyway, I definitely hope that you'll be spending a lot of time in saarbrück, and get your internship there!! It is SURE to be less boring if you're there XD!! I'll have plenty of book titles to give you, and I'll be reading Yann Martel, so we can exchange our opinions!

This comment's getting more and more "brief-ähnlich" (Ha ha ha, even here, I'm pretending I'm Babelfish...) so I'll stop here!!

See ya!

Anonyme a dit…

Hé mais comment tu vas faire pour les photos d'Ewan, Paul, Johnny, Hugh et tous les autres ? Tu as un procès sur le dos ou quoi ?

Et aussi : I Capture the Castle, c'est super bien.

Claire a dit…

Non, non, j'ai pas de procès, j'ai un cours de droit multimédia... Je suis un peu flippée, du coup... Mais bon, c pas bien grave, faudra juste que je prenne l'habitude de prendre des photos... Et d'aller aux avant premières BEAAUCOUP plus souvent...

Bref. Ouais, I capture the Castle, c GENIAL! J'ai pas encore fini de le relire, mais ça ne saurait tarder, trop.

A bientôt!

Anonyme a dit…

Bon, ça ne va pas aider pour les photos de backsides, mais sur flickr je pense qu'il y a des photos que tu peux prendre légalement, et elles sont parfois bien...

Anonyme a dit…

Hey mais c'est une citation ce titre non? Pas un bout d'une chanson! Non?



Sinon, oui I Capture the castle c'est formidable et exceptionnel. Mais de toute façon après la première phrase renversante, ça ne pouvait pas être vraiment mauvais. Si?

Anonyme a dit…

Moi je crois que c'est une citation de I Capture the Castle... mais qui va se faire écrabouiller ? Topaz ?

P'têtre que je vais le relire pour essayer de trouver, moi, tiens

Anonyme a dit…

Oui, Topaz, si mes souvenirs sont bons.






ou alors c'est dans "our house" de Madness mais... je le sens pas trop...

Claire a dit…

:D Non, non, c'est une citation de I Capture the Castle, et ils parlent de la mère des Cottons qui parle sans arrêt, comme un "mur de paroles". Mais après il la rencontre, et il l'aime bien :) Mais faut relire le livre quand même, hein, parce que c'est vachement bien.

Quant à Flick'r c vrai que c'est une bonne idée... Je verrais ce que je ferais! En attendant, mon stage commence une semaine plus tard que prévu, j'aurais le temps de faire des analyses comparatives de sites avec des photos sans droits...

Änn a dit…

D'ailleurs, tu t'es déjà acheté LE foulard???
:p

Claire a dit…

XD ça ne saurait tarder!! Un jour il sera mien, oooooh oui!