What is this blog all about?

The main purpose of this blog is to give an overview of the things I do, in my everyday life, in order to improve my English. Since I am a very lazy person, I mostly read, and watch movies, and do things which make it possible for me to improve my vocabulary, my grammar and my accent without getting bored... So this blog is going to be about the books I read, the movies I watch, and some other things which I find relevant (or not)...

I hope you'll like it! Don't hesitate to leave comments if you have any suggestions concerning what I should write about!!

jeudi 29 novembre 2007

Le plat pays...

This post is in honour of Belgium, because I feel I haven't written enough about Belgium on this blog (by "not enough" I mean "nothing so far"), although I've been there a few times to visit my sister M, and will do so again in the near future (though to an uncertain date) because I love the place (and my sister, of course, that goes without saying).

What prompted this post was the public screening of "Cow Boy", yesterday evening, where I saw a few Belgian celebrities (Benoît Poelvoorde, (pool-vord, he's quite famous in France as well), Benoît Mariage (filmmaker), François Damiens (who's pretty famous here too, but is very well known in Belgium)...) Sadly enough, I must say, it did not quite rise to my expectation (it was actually very very weird, they all looked depressed -which may have been due to their movie). But, well, it doesn't matter, always look on the bright side, I had a nice evening with my friends, and now I have a brand new post idea! How wonderful!!

Besides, you can view this post as my little message of support to the people of Belgium, which still doesn't have a government, which I'm not going to say any more about since I don't know enough about it to justify my giving my opinion. It just makes me feel a little sad, and I do hope they're not going to split.

Soooo, Belgium... as I said, I went there a few times to see my sister, who lives in Brussels. With her, and on some occasions with V as well, I visited quite a lot of Belgian cities, like Brussels, of course, which is really beautiful, but also Anvers and Gand. I liked them all very much, but none as much as Bruges which is really one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen.
It's very watery (by that I mean that it rains a lot, and it's kinda like Venice, with plenty of little canals). I suppose it looks a lot like it did in the 16th century, and it's really worth seeing. What with the rain shouldn't bother you, really because it's all the more reason to get in a café and go drink a hot chocolate (hmmmm, reader, belgian hot chocolates! In Flanders, they give you little biscuits and stuff, so that even if you only order a chocolate, you don't go hungry, and in some cases, they even add a little "real" belgian chocolate praline; I think that's the real meaning of the word "hospitality" XD)
Belgium really is part of those countries that are not so far away from France (and indeed, from anywhere in Europe), but I would probably never have visited had my sister not lived there... Besides we French people have a tendency to make fun of Belgians for being really silly, (I don't actually know why), so it's not a very "glamour" holiday destination, but really, it's worth your while! Go! Go! Go!
Well, I think that's pretty much all I had to say about Belgium (for now), so I'm just going to stop writing now, and get back to learning how to use a translation memory (I looooove translation memories, reader, they are THE FUTURE! :) They make everything easier, and give me a nice, euphoric feeling when they work properly...)

Have a nice day!

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Ouééééé!
Ouééééé!
Ouééééé!

Benoît Poelvoorde est complètement dépressif en ce moment, c'est pour ça qu'il est, euh, déprimé. ça t'a pas plu cow boy? Moi je voulais y aller...

Claire a dit…

Ouais, ouais, Marie nous a dit ça après coup! C'était un peu étrange! Mais le film en tant que tel, il était pas mal, il a plu à out le monde! Moi j'ai pas trop accroché, perso, parce que j'aimais pas trop les personnages, mais c'est pas mal quand même!

Bisoux! Merci pour le commentaire :D