What is this blog all about?

The main purpose of this blog is to give an overview of the things I do, in my everyday life, in order to improve my English. Since I am a very lazy person, I mostly read, and watch movies, and do things which make it possible for me to improve my vocabulary, my grammar and my accent without getting bored... So this blog is going to be about the books I read, the movies I watch, and some other things which I find relevant (or not)...

I hope you'll like it! Don't hesitate to leave comments if you have any suggestions concerning what I should write about!!

mercredi 24 octobre 2007

My beloved monster and me...

Hey reader!

I noticed yesterday that my "general" file was getting fuller and fuller, and everything else has been a little let down ever since I don't have to write serious things from time to time in order not to look like I'm having too much fun blogging in my vererated English teacher's eyes... So today, I decided it might be a good idea to tell you about the book I'm reading right now, which is in English as well as really cool.

Besides, I should be working for an English presentation about Feminism, and since it's tomorrow, I figured it might be a good idea to start doing something completely different, so as to be sure to go to bed at 2 a.m. tonight and look half dead during my presentation tomorrow (maybe pity can win me one or two points?) -By the way, reader, if you wonder why I chose feminism as a topic when it drives me so mad, I thought it would be a good idea to know more about it (in order to sound less radical and more composed in my argumentation), and besides, since I have an actual opinion on the subject, I thought it would be easier to get my fellow students to talk about it. Anyway. So much for my presentation's topic, let's get back to the book!

It's called "Wicked" and was written by Gregory Maguire. The main reason why I bought it (at the airport in the US) was because I liked the title. Besides, it looked cool (the pages are bright green) and I had just finished reading Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor's chronicle of their motorcycle trip around the world. That was really cool, by the way, and the title is "Long way around" if anyone is interested. Pretty cool book. Particularly the scenes describing Ewan McGregor singing "Running to stand still" with a guitar around the fire. Marshmallows, anyone?

Anyway, anyway, let's get back to "Wicked". It might well be the most difficult book I've ever read, the vocabulary is terrible (even worse than "Jaywalking with the Irish", guys, do you believe this?) and I sometimes don't really get the necessity of the political analysis of the situation in Munchkinland, but it's still a very good book, with lovable characters. It takes place in the world of Oz (remember the Wizard of Oz?) but you don't need to know anything about the original book to read "Wicked" (as for me, I only ever heard about "The Wizard of Oz", and know some stuff about a cowardly lion and a heartless plumber. Or something like that.)

The main character of "Wicked" is the Wicked Witch of the West, Elphaba (if I understood things right, she's the big meany in the original book), which was born green skinned, and is a very funny character. She is some kind of a geek, and I like her cynical humour and attitude to life. It's not as if she were disillusioned or anything, it's not a depressing book at all, she just sees through things easily, and I like the way she behaves.

Anyway, it's a really good book, though I'm not much of a fan of talking Animals and weird fantasy lands, so if you don't know what to read, you can read that! I have to run now, the little bra-burning people of Cixousland are waiting for me!! Time to stop talking about "Wicked" and be a good girl! Have a nice day!!

Aucun commentaire: