What is this blog all about?

The main purpose of this blog is to give an overview of the things I do, in my everyday life, in order to improve my English. Since I am a very lazy person, I mostly read, and watch movies, and do things which make it possible for me to improve my vocabulary, my grammar and my accent without getting bored... So this blog is going to be about the books I read, the movies I watch, and some other things which I find relevant (or not)...

I hope you'll like it! Don't hesitate to leave comments if you have any suggestions concerning what I should write about!!

mercredi 9 janvier 2008

Bloody Blunder

I'm kinda bored, reader... I've been on holidays for two weeks now, and it's going to go on till the 21st of January. I know I shouldn't complain, because I'm going to complain again about having to go to the university pretty soon, but however, I'm young and healthy, and I think I should be doing something else than sleeping until noon and watching TV. Depressing. Besides I should be a little solidary and think about my poor friends who have exams everyday now. Good luck everybody! I'm sure you'll do great!
Anyway, I thought about telling you about Invasions today, because I watched the two first episodes and it's got a cute heroe, and it's kind of interesting, but it's a bit bland, really, so I thought I'd better write the answers to the books-questionnaire my sister answered a few weeks back. I hope that you'll like it.
Sooo... Let's start with 4 books from my childhood...
-Homecoming, by Cynthia Voigt. Brilliant. Still one of my favourite books in the world, even though I read it when I was little.
-Little House in the Prairie. Had a fancy to Laura Ingalls and her blind sister. That is more difficult to explain today, but still.

-"Ma vie a changé" by Marie Aude Murail. A book about a divorced woman and her son who adpot a house-elf. That was before Harry Potter, so the elf is beautiful and winged. Really good, funny and... well, really good.
-Lassie. Yes. The book about the dog. I read it a lot when I was a kid. I don't think this book list is going quite as well as I would have wished, really...
4 books from my teens...

-Jane Eyre. Oh yeah.
-Pride and Prejudice... Yeas, I know, no points for originality, but hell, I was asked for the truth, raised my right arm and said "Je le jure"... (Do they actually say "I swear" in America? Sounds really weird...)
-The Princess Bride. Already told you about this one, again and again. Brilliant book. Not overly clever, but really really good.
-Monsieur Malaussène, by Daniel Pennac, mostly because it's so funny. And because of the characters.
4 books I read recently (Yeah, It's supposed to be 4 books from when I was a student, and then 4 books I read recently, but as I am a student now, I guess I'm entitled to make little changes...)
-The Cider House Rules (John Irving). Might well be the best book I've ever read, though it's probably not my favourite.
-Dracula. Did not like this one much either, but it still prevented me from turning the lights out, which hasn't happened too often with other books. I read it in Dublin( did you know that Bram Stoker was Irish, reader? He seemed not to like the fact much, and did not advertise it, but still! He's from Ireland! Doesn't that make a big change in your life??), and I kept checking under my bed and stuff, and I had to wait until I was nearly asleep before I turned the lights out, otherwise I started thinking some stuff was after me, and it was terrible. Whatever.
-A Suitable Boy, by Vikram Seth. "Read it once, and it will keep you company for a lifetime", it said at the back. Very accurate description. But you do need a lifetime to read it once...
-Devdas, by Sarat Chandra Chatterjee. One of my biggest shocks, litterature-wise. Still haven't gotten over it. A FISHING ROD!!! A FISHING ROD!!! He HITS her with a FISHING ROD!!!!!!!!! (That's a bad shock, by the way, as well as a bad book, and you should not read it. Watch the movie. Watch the movie. It's a much better move.)
There you go. A list of books. I guess I forgot more than half of what I wanted to put in it, and if you ask me tomorrow, you'll have a different result. But well, there you go! My book list! A movie lst would be waaaay easier... I'm going to think about it... I haven't been making many lists here lately...

Have a nice day, reader!!

5 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

et pis ceux que tu emmènerais sur une ile déserte, alors ??



Non, j'arrête de t'embêter.

Claire a dit…

Ah merde! L'île déserte! J'ai raté l'île déserte! Et ben, dans ce cas, A suitable Boy, Les enfants Tillerman, un livre que je n'aurais jamais lu, et qui serait très très gros, genre Anna Karenin ou quelque chose comme ça, et aussi... la Bible. (Je fais du lèche botte, en préventif, car les îles désertes, c'est plein d'ours polaires, de monstres fumeux et de personnages étranges... Du coup, mieux vaut tout avoir mis en ordre avec son créateur...)

Anonyme a dit…

Gaaaaaa Anna Karenin c'est nuuuuuuuuuul ne pars jaaaaamaaaaaaais sur une île déserte avec!!!!

Faut prendre Ulysses de James Joyce. C'est gros et on comprend rien. En plus ça se passe dans une ville, alors par rapport à l'île déserte ça te dépaysera.


Quand j's'rai grande, j's'rai critique littéraire!!

Fran a dit…

Je seconde Marion dans son jugement littéraire sur Anna Karénine. Quitte à emporter un truc extrêmement gros, autant prendre Guerre & Paix. Ou les Frères Karamazov. Ou le Dit du Genji (j'te prêterai mon édition, va).

Claire a dit…

Je peux pas emmener ton édition du dit du Genji sur une ile déserte, Françoise, rappelle toi ce que j'ai dit sur les monstres en fumée et les ours polaires!! Sans compter le sel!! Quant à Anna K (le débat du avec ou sans E, c'est trop dur pour moi), c'est d'accord. En fait, je pense que je vais plutôt emmener Les Misérables, car je n'ai jamais lu de Victor Hugo, comme ça, au moins, je pourrais améliorer ma connaissance des classiques français....