What is this blog all about?

The main purpose of this blog is to give an overview of the things I do, in my everyday life, in order to improve my English. Since I am a very lazy person, I mostly read, and watch movies, and do things which make it possible for me to improve my vocabulary, my grammar and my accent without getting bored... So this blog is going to be about the books I read, the movies I watch, and some other things which I find relevant (or not)...

I hope you'll like it! Don't hesitate to leave comments if you have any suggestions concerning what I should write about!!

mardi 29 janvier 2008

How wonderful life is...

Well, reader, now that Sweeney Todd is out, I can write my post about my five favourite cinema musicals. Indeed, now, musicals are hype, and I have no reason to be ashamed. At least not right now, because you haven't read my list yet. Wait a second, and you shall see... Anyway, I thought it would be important to write a post about musicals, because they are one of my favourite kinds of movies. Make them sing, and I'll like the movie, it's nearly a guarantee. Even if they don't sing well, even if the music is terrible and the story even worse, I'm going to like it. Or at least to sit through it. It's just that it makes me wish my life was the same way...

You know, as in that Buffy episode (Once More With Feeling). The whole town is possessed by a demon who makes everybdy start singing random songs. I love it. I wish we were allowed to start singing random songs all the time for all kinds of pretexts, and no one would look at us as if we were weirdos. I never tried, but I can imagine what it would look like if I got up on my desk in the middle of my french-to-German translation class and started bellowing "girls just wanna have fun" at the top of my voice. Or "lonely, I'm so lonely", on the street at night, coming back home from the train station... Supposedly, Johnny Depp would start singin the same song in L.A. and we would end up making a wonderful duet without even knowing it... Hmmmm... I wish...

5. Grease. Ok, now I'm ashamed. But come on, it does rock, doesn't it? They dance, and they sing, and they're very good at improving my mood, and their dresses are actually coming back into fashion nowadays! The return of dotted fabrics and yellow leather jackets (!)... I would actually give up the terrible "sad" love songs by Olivia Newton John. They are terrible. Like yellow leather jackets.

4. Might well be "Music and Lyrics". That was god fun too. I liked the fun part. I'm a fun-loving person, actually. And also, I must admit, I like Hugh Grant. I know, I know, that's not very original, as 50% of the population likes Hugh Grant (the other 50% are male). So yeah, Music and Lyrics would come 4th.... here comes the backside tag... :D
3. Once, I guess. I really loved that movie. But I already wrote a post about it, so I'm going to leave it at that. It was really great, though...

2. Number two would be Singing in the Rain. A classic, with Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds (she's Princess Leïa's mother, in real life, how could anyone not like her??). Even now, when I watch the "Make them Laugh" sequence with Donald O'Connor, I just can't help laughing. And also that blond gal who keeps saying "What do you think I am, dumb or something?" (Well, it really doesn't sound as good when it's written down). Anyway, it's really good fun, and the music's nice, and it makes you feel like tap-dancing. Besides, when it's grey outside and it's been raining for days on end, you can think about that mythic sequence with the post light, and it helps cheering you up.

1. Incontested first would be, of course, Baz Luhrman's incredibly great musical Moulin Rouge! with the greatest music ever, without which I might never have known Ewan McGregor's incredible talent and beautiful set of teeth. He's got such a voice!!! But apart from him, the movie is really great, the music is original (even though nearly all songs are remixes (if you can call them that))... Incredible people are involved in the soundtrack, by the way, like Bono, Beck, David Bowie, Fat Boy Slim... and also it makes you cry, and cry, and cry rivers. That Baz Luhrman, really... I which he would shoot more!!

Anyway. As you might have noticed, I have not included any Indian movies in there, though I'm a huge Bollywood fan. I wouldn't have known where to put them, in my top five. Would have made everything too difficult to rate, and besides, it would have been unfair competition. Well, reader, I'm going to have to get back to work, now, cause I'm such a good girl. I wish you a very nice day! The hiiiills are aliiiiiive....

5 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Ahahaha Grease c'est trop bien. Surtout quand elle chante "hopelessly devoted to youuuu" avec son visage qui se reflète dans l'eau cristalline... D'une piscine à boudins en caoutchouc...

Claire a dit…

Ah, vraiment, ils ont le sens du romantique, il n'y a pas à dire... :D

You're the one that I want... Ouh ouh ouh, yeah yeah....

Fran a dit…

Mais mais mais... tu veux dire que Sweeney Todd n'est pas number one de ton top 5 ?!

Claire a dit…

:D not yet...

Fran a dit…

Peut-être que tu pourrais le mettre dans ton Top 5 de la nausée, alors... Juste après "un voyage en bateau sur les côtes bretonnes après une choucroute bien arrosée"...

Nan, j'rigoooooole !