What is this blog all about?

The main purpose of this blog is to give an overview of the things I do, in my everyday life, in order to improve my English. Since I am a very lazy person, I mostly read, and watch movies, and do things which make it possible for me to improve my vocabulary, my grammar and my accent without getting bored... So this blog is going to be about the books I read, the movies I watch, and some other things which I find relevant (or not)...

I hope you'll like it! Don't hesitate to leave comments if you have any suggestions concerning what I should write about!!

lundi 26 mars 2007

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand...

I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from meeeeee... Sorry.
Hello!

I'm back reader! I'm feeling much better! In spite of the rude awakening this morning, due to my forgetting to change the time on my alarm clock. I trusted it to guess that we had changed time... Silly machine... Anyway...
Tonight, in order to celebrate my unblocked nose, I want to tell you about Firefly. No, not the bug, the series. It has been seen by about 5 persons in the world, so I guess you might not have heard of it before, but it is one of the best series ever created in my (personal and humble) opinion.


Just imagine, reader, the main character is a mix between Han Solo and Clint Eastwood. Could you possibly get cooler than that?? The scene is set in a distant future, the Earth has died out, but humans have colonized other planets (and you don't have to put up with multiple-eyed and funny-voiced creatures from outer space, all there is is plain human beings. Sometimes gone wrong, but still, they all are human).

I particularly like the creator's view of the Earth's future, some kind of multicultural society where everybody can speak Chinese.

I think it's a pretty cool and new idea to acknowledge Chinese as one of the main cultures, for an American creator.

The said creator being Joss Whedon, the famous director of the "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" series, which were also really really cool. In my (personal and humble) opinion. Anyway. I think he is a genius.

I have to say a word about the cast, too, of course. I find all the actors real good, especially the main character, Captain Mal Reynolds (I have seldom seen a character as charismatic and original). He is played by the Canadian Nathan Fillion (Yes... The one with the interesting backside...), who is a really great actor, and has less success than he deserves. He has recently played in "Lost", (in Evangeline Lilly's flash-backs), and in a new series called "Drive", which I had not even heard about (once again, I owe all these informations to the wonderful IMDb website.)
Captain Mal Reynolds is a smuggler, who used to be in a war his side lost. As he puts it "I was on the losing side, maybe, but I'm still not convinced it was the wrong one". He now travels all over the universe, in his old Firefly ship, which is supposed to look like a firefly, but actually is more of a giant turkey type of UFO... So much for the designers...


The supporting roles are also very interesting, even though some are more interesting than others, especially the crazy young girl, who has a tendency to get on my nerves. But that's OK, because you don't see too much of her anyway.

Just as in Buffy, I find the dialogues very very funny most of the time, nearly always realistic, and it is one of the main attractions of the show.

The only trouble, as I said, is that only about 5 persons have seen it so far, and that did not seem to please the 20th Century Fox too much. So there are only 14 episodes, plus one movie, "Serenity", which is OK, but not quite as great as the series. The good thing is that you know the beginning and you know the end, you can make a "Firefly night", you don't need to make that a week, and the need to keep the producers pleased and the audience watching put such a pressure on the shoulders of the screen-writers, that all episodes are real jewels.
But then again, the cast and crew seemed to get on so well with each other and the whole story could have gone so far, that I can't watch the bonus material of the DVDs without getting a bit teary. I don't even think the whole thing has ever been translated, so you're bound to improve your English, although they do have a funny accent and they also have their own vocabulary, such as "shiny" instead of great, and other things like that. That's where this market-dominated economy is leading us!!! Everybody watches Smallville and Firefly is down the drain!! No, my friends, let's rise!!

Well OK.

Let's not rise, let's just appreciate what's good while we can. I hope you'll find a way to see one or two episodes of this wonderful series, I just guarantee you'll like it. Otherwise, I'll repay your time by giving you a wonderful ticket for one hour free squash training!! Isn't that great?? Don't you want it very badly?? I didn't think you would...

Well, it's midnight now, thanks to the silly daylight saving time change, so I'll just go now... As Captain Reynolds would probably say, "Claire, your mouth is talking, you might want to see to it"... So good night, reader!!

Aucun commentaire: